My life and times dealing with bipolar II disorder

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Rabbits, dogs and horses, oh my!

Okay. Maybe one rabbit, one dog and horse in the plural. But you catch my meaning.

The dog and horses, particularly the horses, add a much needed structure to my daily life. There are so many tasks associated with just keeping the horses going, particularly in the winter. Feeding twice a day, medicating and supplements for the old pony. Checking their water tanks twice a day, to make sure the heaters didn't get hung up and the tank has frozen. Checking and repairing the electrical fence (the deer seem to take it down daily in the winter) before I can turn the horses out into the pasture on the days it's not a skating rink. Scrubbing out and refilling the damn water tanks in two feet of snow. But these are things that absolutely have to be done, no questions asked. Doesn't matter if I'm out there feeding in my work gloves and flannel pajamas...the horses don't care and the neighbors can't see. It's like the post office. Come rain or shine it is always done.

The grooming and training is done on an as needed basis. Ironically enough, for 3 years, I was the lead voluteer for a therapuetic riding program for the disabled. The changes I saw in the students were amazing. And now I'm sort of on the receiving end with these horses. The amount of focus required for working with hot thoroughbreds is intense. You have to be in the moment, but keeping mentally several steps ahead of the horse. And the pony, well driving cart is one of my favorite past times. There is nothing quite like taking the pony and a two wheeled cart down old logging roads in the middle of the summer.

The dog, well he's lower maintenance, but has to be walked regularly (not in pajamas of course...even in hicksville they give you weird looks for walking around in pajamas). Just adds to what must be done even if my sorry ass can barely do it. It always gets done.

And the rabbit, you ask? Well, he mainly adds entertainment and aggravation. He's a house rabbit. What's that? He lives exclusively indoors, is neutered and litterbox trained. I've been doing rabbit rescue for over 13 years. I really can't imagine not having a rabbit. They are sort of like very destructive cats (chew on baseboards, pull carpet, eat cords and phone lines) but they don't smell (as long as spayed/neutered). So you may wonder why I've had them for 13 years? Once they trust you, they are hilarious. It cracks me up how much ego is crammed in such a little body. My current rabbit is like dealing with a two year old child, even with everything being bunny-proofed. (And I've been around enough two year olds to know that the comparison is pretty accurate.) Everything is on their terms, and they can be complete smart-asses. I could go on and on.

In terms of animals being therapeutic, I think it's not only the bond created with them but also the structure it adds. I know the horses, and all the animals in my life, have been a tremendous help to me. Getting me out of my head for a while, giving me a break from me. Doesn't mean I'm thrilled about dragging myself through the "chores" on some days, but it gives me a sense of normalcy. I can be Jane for a while, and I like that.

3 comments:

Amateur Dancer said...

thank you so much for your kind comment on my blog. you always leave such wise words!

my sister had bulimia badly when we were growing up and spent a summer at one of the country's top centers for eating d/o's...they did equine therapy there. she loved her horse therapy so much.

we were just talking about that the other day.

that is cool, that you have experience with that!

thanks again...i am trying...i will be happy to get this week behind me.

txandi prost said...

i have not followed your posts as regularly as they deserve, so forgive the question if answered before: would your rabbit account for your name?

~t~

Missy said...

Good post. There's a lot to be said for animals and our relationships with them. They are able to give us so much...