My life and times dealing with bipolar II disorder

Monday, January 8, 2007

A bit of background

You might be wondering why I decided to write a blog about such a personal subject. I was wondering, too. Then I realized that nearly all of the people in my life pretend that this issue does not exist for me at all. Instead I'm just a little bit "odd" or "quirky" and "troubled" but I most certainly am not bipolar. Like many blogs, this is a way for me to talk about my experiences to a faceless stranger...maybe so someone can learn a little, or maybe to validate that this really *is* a part of my daily life.

I was diagnosed bipolar II about 10 years ago, after being treated for episodes of depression for about 6 years. I tend to have bottomless depression with periods of rapid cycling hypomania, and episodes of "mixed states" - severe depression accompanied by high levels of anxiety and agitation. To add some extra fun to the mix, there is definitely a seasonal component involved. Unmedicated, I rapid cycle with a strong emphasis on hypomania during the summer. I remember as a small child wondering if I had been a sun worshipper...summers were always the best of times for me. I felt smarter, faster, happier...even if I was pretty anxious.

Even as a 6 yr old, I knew there was something different about me. I was an avid reader and tended to get swept away in stories and had a very rich imagination...a little too rich. As my responsibilities and stress levels increased, I started to swing more toward depressive episodes. Crying at a drop of a hat. Feeling overwhelmingly responsible for everything. The first time I tried to take my own life I was 12. I knew that radiator fluid killed dogs, so I went into the garage and poured myself a nice big cup of it. My parents weren't supposed to be home for another hour. As I was getting ready to drink it, my dad's car pulled up in the driveway. I put down the cup and ran. He later found it, but didn't say anything. I guess he figured my younger brother had been playing in it.

Fast forward through high school and my B.S. in college. Severe bouts of depression caused me to miss a lot of class, but I pulled good grades. My symptoms continued escalate exponentially. During grad school, when I was formally diagnosed with bipolar, things were spinning out of control. I could barely keep up with anything and was in way over my head...trying to manage pretty severe symptoms and a very stressful, round the clock work load. Sprinkle in a few serious suicide attempts (overdoses) with resulting ER visits and a short stay in a psychiatric ward where I thought I would get help...but honest to god was asked to do macaroni art, and you can guess what happened to my master's program. It disappeared. I was unable to finish.

I worked in a laboratory for over 5 years. Was diagnosed with a non life-threatening, but severely painful syndrome (intracranial hypertension). When combined with bipolar, resulted in me becoming disabled.

"Gee, Mom. Can I grow up and become disabled?" I never remember asking that question. It was never a goal in my life. But here it is. And here I am.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi rabbit run,

Welcome to the blog world.

As you know I am also bipolar. My blig has only been doing since November but I have met so many great people already, there are many of us out there. It's really helped me feel more at ease with my illness.

Adding you to my blogroll and looking forward to reading more.

Anonymous said...

typo alert...my blig? WTF?

I meant blog, obviously!

Lol

:-D

rabbit_run said...

Hi Puddlejumper,

I recently decided to look around at blogs, and you popped up. You were actually kind of an inspiration for me to start a blog of my own. So thanks. I've actually found it to be helpful to write about BP, and read how others are doing/coping with this.